Thursday, April 1, 2010

Flipping Through the Channels

You're watching TV with a friend. They have control of the remote. It's 2:00 in the afternoon, so there's nothing good on. They keep flipping through the channels. "Today it's going to be 71 with a chance of..." "...crazy bitch! He doesn't love you! He doesn't..." "Mi destino eres tĂș" "...but officer, that's not mine, I swear. It's...."
Imagine it. The channels keep changing, but you can't do anything about it. You have no control over it. You want it to stop. You want to stay on one channel.
Finally. Your friend settles on a repeat of The Maury Show. Oh, wait. It's commercials now. Boring. Back to flipping through the channels.

This is how my mind works. It's like someone else has the remote to my brain, and they can't figure out which channel they want to stop on. First I'm studying for my math test, the next second I'm thinking about what I want to eat for dinner. A sandwich from the cafeteria sounds good.
Then I'm pulling out my psychology book, even though I didn't study math for more than 5 minutes.
Now I'm on facebook, chatting with friends. Wait, when did I get on the computer?
I think I'll go get that sandwich now.
Oh, hey! I haven't talked to you in awhile. What have you been up to?
Gee, why am I so hungry? Oh, yeah. I never actually got any food.
I start eating, only to find myself working on math again before I finish the sandwich.

Will you please stop changing the channels?

0 comments:

Post a Comment