Thursday, April 1, 2010

Get Me Off This Fucking Medication


So, I'm getting off my ADHD medication. Is anybody else planning on stopping their meds or stopped their meds in the past?
I've been taking Strattera since I was diagnosed about 4 months ago, but I decided that the side effects outweighed the positive effects I was getting out of it. Since I've started it, I've become way too emotional and moody. I get angry and sad really easily, and it happens mostly with my boyfriend (who is awesome, by the way, and doesn't deserve to have me mad at him all of the time.) This has really put a strain on our relationship, and I don't like it one bit.
Plus my meds have thrown me into this crazy high and low cycle, also known as bipolar disorder. I notice it mostly with my sleeping habits. For two weeks, I'll have too much energy and it's hard for me to sleep at night. I won't fall asleep until 4, 5, or 6 o'clock in the morning, and I'll only get 4-6 hours of sleep every night. This goes on for about two weeks, and then all of a sudden I crash. I end up being tired constantly, and I sleep all of the time. There's times where I'll sleep for 11 or 12 hours at night, and then I'll take a 3 or 4 hour nap during the day.

Like I mentioned before, the bad definitely outweighs the good for me, and for that reason, I am starting to taper off my Strattera. If I don't experience any crazy withdrawal symptoms, then I should be off of medication by April 8th. And someone asked me about it, so I figured I'd post it on here, but I am doing this under doctor supervision. I am not getting off of my meds all on my own.

I just can't wait to be my normal self again. Although I'd like to think that my normal self is not so normal. What do you think?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna, it's Sydnee (Palmer). I just want to tell you, it does get easier. I have been diagnosed with mental illnesses myself, ADD being the first about seven years ago. Don't give up on medication like I've seen so many people do after the first one. It's all about finding what works well for you - with minimal side effects. Yeah, it really freaking sucks sometimes, but once you find the right medication, you would not believe how much of a difference it makes. Take it from someone who has had to try just about everything; it's a pain in the ass, but it's worth it.

One thing that might help, if you haven't already done it, is trying to explain to someone at your school what you're struggling with right now, and that you're working as hard as you can. [I'm not exactly sure who you would go to in college - maybe to the professer of the class you're struggling in? Something to the equivilancy of a student counselor?] When it comes to education, people are much more willing to work with you when you make an effort to show that you're trying.

I think your normal self is much different than what can be defined as normal, meaning like everyone else. You should feel like yourself, yes, but feel normal? That's just boring. [:

Post a Comment