Sunday, April 4, 2010

Questions

I recently got a few anonymous questions about my ADHD on my formspring site. I decided I would answer them on here, too, but more in depth.




Do you really think people care about your newfound ADHD? if you really had it, you would have known before college.

Yes, I know there are people who care about my "newfound" ADHD, but I'm sure there are some people who don't care. Anybody who knows me well, knows that I've been aware of my ADHD for quite some time now. Since my sophomore year of high school, to be exact. A teacher of mine brought it to my attention that it was very possible I had ADHD. I talked to my parents about it, but they didn't think I had it, so they wouldn't take me to get evaluated.
Once I got to college, it became completely obvious that I was suffering from ADHD, so I made an appointment with a therapist myself. He diagnosed me with ADHD, and then referred me to a psychiatrist so I could be prescribed medication. She also evaluated me, and diagnosed me with ADHD. It seems like you are questioning whether or not I have ADHD, and I hope this helped to prove to you that I do.




How does someone failing out of college with ADHD have the patience and free time to design and maintain a blog?

This question reinforces my opinion that the majority of the population does not understand this disorder. ADHD doesn't only make it hard for people to focus, but it also makes it hard for us to stay on task, even if it's a very simple task. We are impulsive and very occasionally say the first thing that comes into our head, which often pisses people off or gets us in trouble. This makes social situations very hard for us. We are very unorganized. You should see my room, which there is a picture in one of my other blogs. It's so messy that it's almost harder for me to actually find a textbook than it is for me to sit down and be able to read it. We don't pay attention to details, so we make easy mistakes in homework and on quizzes or tests. If you think you procrastinate a lot, you should watch someone with ADHD try to do a homework assignment. But please keep in mind that not everyone with ADHD has every single one of these symptoms. Symptoms and extremeness of ADHD varies from person to person.
So to answer your question, I'm not failing out of college. I did not do very good last semester, and I was put on academic probation, but that's because I had not talked to a doctor about how to deal with ADHD. I didn't know of good study techniques or anything of that sort. I am doing much better this semester, but still struggling to keep my grades up. I need to get a 2.0 or else I will be suspended for a semester. How do I have free time to design and maintain a blog? Easily. When I have a paper or something due, I blog instead. Remember, I have ADHD. It's extremely hard for me to stay on task, and I skip back and forth between what I should be doing, like homework, and things I shouldn't be doing, such as writing a blog. As of right now, it is completely impossible for me to just sit down and finish something without jumping around to other stuff in the process.



Also, view my blog post Hyperfocus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment